Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Pancakes at Overlook Farm

Overlook Farm is an educational farm run by Heifer International in Rutland, MA, one of the most wonderfully practical charities I've yet encountered. We've been there several times since we moved to this area. It's about twenty minutes from central Worcester, and a nice place to take young kids, who tend to be enthralled by animals. I like it because it's quiet, and free of the usual ways children's venues try to part you from both sanity and vast amounts of money (there is a gift shop, but it's about as low-key as they come). You can wander around the place as you like, and there's usually some helpful volunteers around to answer questions. In season, they have a vegetable stand.

Our last visit didn't go well. They were having a big event, and our daughter was alarmed, cried, and wouldn't eat lunch, all of which upset my then-pregnant self way more than was warranted. Yesterday's was better. We went up there for the annual pancake breakfast, held in observation of sugaring season (which I hear is going well this year). Our attempt to attend last year was snowed out, and this year the morning was foggy and wet, with the prospect of seriously heavy rain across the region later in the day. We slogged in, found seats, and enjoyed breakfast--they make their own sausage, and have "fair trade" organic coffee and tea on hand. While I tried to nurse the baby discreetly, I got an enthusiastic "good for you!" from a woman sitting farther down our table, and we had a brief and sympathetic chat. We wandered around the grounds a bit and visited the warm barn, where the new goats and chickens are kept out of the weather.

Everyone was in a good mood, and the rain held off until we got into the car. Can't ask for more than that. It was too foggy for pictures yesterday--the view does justify the farm's name--but here's one from last year.



I would make a terrible livestock farmer. Baby goats and lambs--cutest things ever.

No comments: