Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Thursday, March 13, 2008

French Onion Soup

Yoga night last night. Along with casseroles, the other thing I'm doing for dinners on these nights is making soup. There are hundreds of recipes for French onion soup out there, but having found this one, I'm disinclined to search any further. It takes a long time, but is easy to make, with a rich, full flavor. On a cold night, you really don't need anything more than this.

Needless to say, for the two of us I make a half recipe, and we generally have some left over. I am not particular about the onions except to use a mix of colors. Maybe it wouldn't make any difference, but I haven't done it with just one kind yet. I use Pacific organic beef broth, and way more olive oil than the recipe calls for (I have never figured out what they do in their test kitchen that lets them caramelize anything in that little oil). And I use dried thyme, given what they charge for fresh if you can find it at all this time of year.

It won't be too much longer before warm weather makes this dish less appealing. It's hard to live in the moment at the end of winter, to enjoy these things while we can.

No comments: