Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Monday, March 10, 2008

March Supper Club - "Green"

Our supper club met Sunday, March 9 in Shrewsbury, with five of us attending. After the rain on Saturday, the weather had turned clear and cold, with a biting wind. As usual, we put together a good, solid meal. I thought the salad was the standout, but maybe that's because I hardly ever eat salad at home.

Since I don't know how people will feel about having their names here, I'll stick to initials.
Yes, I know that two of those are not green. The mint bars, contrary to the recipe description, were not fudgy, but rather like a genoise. I was initially skeptical about the skimpy amounts of frosting allowed for, but they were quite good. The sangria I made with a Turning Leaf sauvignon blanc from the tiny and ill-stocked package store in the strip mall by the local supermarket, and it was surprisingly well-balanced, something I would make again (in warmer weather).


April's theme will be "eggs." We tried something new this time, with each member randomly pulling a course to do (instead of figuring it out as we go along). I drew "main," which may be a challenge, since we're not meeting at my place, and none of the egg dishes I can think of so far travel well. But, that was the whole idea of the drawing; I know I tend to get into a bit of a mental rut and default to baking something, so this should be fun.

No comments: