Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bagels!

The one thing I really miss about my old job in Natick was that my route to the office passed an Einstein Bros. (Okay, I miss having a half-hour commute, too.) I can still taste the sweet chewiness of their honey-wheat bagels slathered with whipped cream cheese.

There are no such convenient bagel spots in Kendall Square, alas; Dunkin Donuts' efforts are pathetic, and Au Bon Pain can't quite seem to get the hang of cream cheese. Now, however, they are putting a Finagle a Bagel into the corner of the new condo complex at 1 First St., which is not in Kendall Square, but is on my route to the office. I've not had their bagels before, but am looking forward to comparing.

Even if the new bagels aren't much good, Dunkin Donuts is about to lose a customer; they've started putting an inch of foam on top of their chai drinks. When I am already paying two dollars for a drink that cost twenty cents to make, I at least want the cup to be full, people.

In other local eatery news, there's a new lunch spot going in on Main St., the "Cafe on Main." It's not open yet, and all that can be seen of the interior is a sign proclaiming that they will be serving Starbucks coffee. More news as this story develops....

No comments: