Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Chinese Chicken and Mushroom Lettuce Cups

Two stand-outs in a row! Blissfully easy to put together on a weeknight, and remarkably full-flavored, Chinese Chicken and Mushroom Lettuce Cups will return to our table. The recipe is written as an appetizer. With a side dish, you could probably get four reasonable servings out of this.

Only one substitution was required this time. My supermarket had no napa cabbage, so I picked up a package of "broccoli slaw" to give it some crunch. I think this was actually better than the cabbage would have been. Next time I might want to use a sturdier type of lettuce, but that was the only issue.

I've been doing a lot of cooking from Cooking Light lately. One reason I turn to it often is because they have a lot of good, fast, "one-dish" recipes. On a night when I have to drive home from Cambridge, I can barely handle making rice, and don't want to fuss around with a lot of side dishes. Still, I should make an effort in next week's planning to hit a cookbook or two.

No comments: