Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year, New Salad

I have to say, I was a little impressed with how organized I was last night (major credit goes to D for keeping the kids out of my hair for the duration, of course)--I managed to whip up a quick tomato sauce (canned diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning), make turkey meatballs from scratch, and throw together a salad dressing, putting dinner on the table in just under 45 minutes. Maybe it was because I left work a few minutes early, so there was less of a traffic battle than I usually face on the way home.

The salad was this one, posted by foodie18 on the Cooking Light forums:

mixed greens
dried cranberries
toasted pine nuts or candied almonds
goat cheese

3 Tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp Dijon
1/4 c balsamic
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c olive oil (or to taste)
salt and pepper

Combine all dressing ingredients in bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.

I am not naturally good with salads--it just never occurs to me to put things like cheese or nuts in it for some reason, no matter how good they are--but I had everything needed to make this, including a half round of peppered goat cheese in the refrigerator, and I am going to try to make it again!

No comments: