Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cookies

The first time I made these, a perpetually-dieting friend ate three and told me I was never allowed to make them again. I don't actually make them very often, in part because it is horribly easy to eat too many of them, and in part because I am iffy about peanut butter cookies generally, finding them somewhat dry. These definitely benefit from a cup of tea or glass of milk. Also, the recipe makes a ton of cookies, and one can get tired of them after a while, so make sure you have a good home in mind for them.

I got this recipe from Bon Appetit--the RSVP column, which attributes them to The Inn at Cedar Falls in Logan, OH--but the epicurious site doesn't appear to have it, so here it is:

2 1/2 c AP flour
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/4 c creamy peanut butter
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl to blend.
  3. Beat butter, peanut butter, and both sugars in large bowl until well blended.
  4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
  5. Add dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
  6. Stir in chocolate chips.
  7. Form dough into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Flatten with the back of a fork, making criss-cross pattern. (Note: This step is important if you don't want weird-looking little lumps instead of nice, shapely cookies.)
  8. Bake until dry on top and golden brown on bottom, about 10 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool.

No comments: