Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Friday, June 27, 2008

This Week's Recipe Roundup

It's been one heck of a week--between JJ's teething and the cold he came down with last night (possibly the same low-grade virus that's been dogging my heels all week), no one is getting much sleep. So this blog has been neglected a bit, and rather than post individually for everything I've been cooking, I'm going to slap them all into this one.

Orange-Glazed Tofu Triangles with Sesame Rice--Although I had to make a few shortcuts, this one pretty much rocked, and would probably be better if made correctly, with a grill and everything instead of being tossed under the broiler for a few minutes. It's also an attractive dish to plate, if that counts for you, particularly if you keep the elements distinct.

Orecchiette with Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella, and Basil--This is probably the "foodiest" dish I will make this whole month. Small-batch imported pasta, organic tomatoes, mozzarella made that very morning and purchased at a farmer's market, as was the basil. A perfect meal for summer.

Turkey Burgers with Special Sauce--I'm sure a better name could be found for the sauce, but that's a hazard of reader-supplied recipes, I suppose. I admit I was highly skeptical about this one, especially the orange juice, but it works!

Also this week, from Moosewood Daily Specials, we had the Artichoke Heart Soup (okay, but a little odd) and the Greek Salad (lacking something, probably because I don't like olives and left those out--maybe it just needed more feta, or melding time).

We've eaten a lot of grape tomatoes this week. Since the farmers markets appear to be in full swing now, it's time to loosen up my menu planning and take more advantage of what can be found there.

Aside from the virus and the teething, the kids are doing great. JJ is rolling all over the place. L watched Fantasia the other day and during the "Pastorale" sequence said, "Look, pony-birds!" and just melted her mommy.

No comments: