Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

On Beyond Bisquick

On Saturday night I blithely promised L pancakes for breakfast. On Sunday morning, I was surprised to find not only that she remembered that I had said this, but that I had no Bisquick.

Yes, I use Bisquick. It's what my mother used when she made us pancakes (every single day for a while there in childhood, which astonishes me now), and it's easy and reliable. It's also been a sort of talisman against accusations of foodie-ness... but one which I have now lost, because I've found out how ridiculously easy it is to make really good pancakes from scratch.

King Arthur Flour's Simple, Perfect Pancakes

2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
2 t pure vanilla
3 T butter, melted or vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups (6.25 oz) unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 t salt
2 t baking powder
2 T sugar or 1/4 cup malted milk-powder

Beat the eggs, milk, and vanilla until light and foamy, about 3 minute at high speed of a stand or hand mixer. Stir in the butter.

Whisk the dry ingredients together to evenly distribute the salt, baking powder and sweetener. Gently and quickly mix into the egg and milk mixture. Let the batter relax while griddle is heating (or overnight in refrigerator). The batter will thicken slightly while resting.

Grease and preheat the griddle. The griddle is ready if a drop of water will skitter across the surface, evaporating immediately; if you have an electric griddle, set the temperature between 325 and 350 F. Drop ¼ cupfuls of batter onto the lightly greased griddle. Cook on one side until bubbles begin to form and break, then turn the pancakes and cook the other side until brown. Turn over only once. Serve immediately.

No comments: