Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Monday, April 28, 2008

Apple Spice Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze

We bought a car! Swallowed our reservations and decided that we weren't going to find a better deal, so we put a deposit on a silver '05 Accord. If everything goes smoothly, it will be ours in a couple of days, just in time for a nice long drive.

Despite being exhausted, I found time to make a cake on Sunday. One of my co-workers had a birthday back in February, and I had promised him a cake, and with one thing and another we've never gotten around to celebrating his birthday. Well, today the time and inclination finally got together and produced this cake.

Mine does not look like the picture -- the glaze all soaked in, rather than leaving the shiny coating. It is, however, moist and satisfyingly sweet without being overwhelming, and altogether much better than I had expected from such a simple cake. The batter is very stiff, but the apples and the glaze offset that quite nicely, leaving a perfectly balanced result.

The next coworker to have a birthday has requested a tres leches cake. I can do that.

No comments: