Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Writing Progress Report

Having done almost nothing tangible on any novel during my 10 days off for the holidays, I have finally started work on Book 3 in something resembling earnest. I say nothing tangible because I did in that time consider, fall in love with, and then discard several ideas for how to handle the midbook. I think I have a version of the story I can live with for a first draft now.

As of this post, I have hit 25,000 words. If I average a thousand words a day, I'll have a draft by the end of March. I have started putting my wordcount in my desk calendar as a means to encourage myself toward this goal.

I have also printed out all of the crits received so far on Book 1, so that I may attempt to fix all of the problems with the opening, while worrying ceaselessly that I have a screwed-up, useless story. Meanwhile, Real Job is presenting me with what I like to call "challenges." Think positive, and all that.

There are days when I feel overwhelmed by all of this, but on the whole, I love my life. :)

No comments: