Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Two Side Dishes from "Back to Basics"

I must say that the first week of January has been a good one for the goals. It usually is, of course. I found plentiful opportunity to use this cookbook; it really is just a matter of planning. I quite like the Barefoot Contessa, in case you hadn't guessed. I have a couple more from her coming up, but I didn't want to put all of them into one huge post.

Pan-Roasted Root Vegetables

This was good, and plenty easy, but my veggies never browned the way they're supposed to. Next time I'll try leaving them at a higher temperature for a while. Of course, you can use whatever veggies you like (I've never even heard of white turnips). Serves 4

4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 white turnip, unpeeled and 1-inch diced
2 carrots, 1-inch diced
2 small parsnips, peeled and 1-inch diced
1/2 celery root, peeled and 1-inch diced
8 Brussels sprouts, halved if large
4 fresh thyme sprigs
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 celery ribs, 1-inch diced
  1. Melt the butter in a large saute pan that has a tight-fitting lid.
  2. Add the turnip, carrots, parsnips, celery root, Brussels sprouts, thyme, salt, and pepper, and toss with the butter. Cover the pan cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
  3. Add the celery and stir. Cover the pan again and cook another 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add a few Tbsp of water if dry. Serve hot.
Parmesan-Roasted Broccoli
I forgot to put the olive oil on. The results were somewhat crispy. Worth trying again. Normally I just steam the stuff, so this was a big change for us. Serves 6

4-5 pounds broccoli
4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
7 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted
1/3 c grated Parmesan
2 Tbsp julienned fresh basil
  1. Preheat the oven to 425F.
  2. Cut the broccoli florets from the stalks, leaving an inch or two of stalk. Cut the larger florets in half. You should have about 8 cups total.
  3. Place the florets on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss with the garlic and drizzle with 5 Tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 
  4. Roast 20-25 minutes until crisp-tender and slightly browned. 
  5. Remove from the over and immediately toss with 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, pine nuts, Parmesan, and basil. Serve hot.
If I select one cookbook a week to work from, I will not get halfway through the collection by the end of the year.

No comments: