Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter Menu 2010

We had a busy, busy Easter Saturday. And Friday, for that matter. L was off school, but I had to work, and D spent the entire day running around as a result. Saturday morning was spent cleaning (the kids helped by behaving wonderfully and, in L's case, attempting off and of to help). Saturday noon D's parents arrived amid the usual shower of gifts.

We spent a good chunk of the afternoon outside, enjoying the amazing weather. Another chunk was spent playing ancient arcade games. D earned a ton of daddy points by driving out to Home Depot to find seed starter cups, which I have been unable to find anywhere nearby, so that L and I could plant radishes and peas. I have no ideas regarding their long-term fate, but I thought L might find it fun if we can get them to sprout.

Dinner was around 5:30. I didn't really do appetizers this year, and there wasn't really any time in which we would have eaten them!
  • Loin of Pork with Fennel (Barefoot Contessa at Home)--I didn't want to do ham again, and I love fennel, so I had high hopes for this dish. Alas, I wasn't entirely thrilled with how this came out. I couldn't get a good reading on my thermometer and ended up overcooking it a trifle. The stuffing was good, but I think it could have used some more oomph; possibly I didn't use enough thyme. I would consider making it again, but with adjustments; perhaps a marinade?
  • Artichoke, Leek, and Potato Gratin--This went over well. My husband loves artichokes; I can take or leave them, but I thought this was quite good, if not exactly exciting.
  • Simple carrots
  • My usual salad
As usual, too much food was consumed by me. It being Saturday, D had to leave for church a bit after dinner, and everyone was still too full for dessert, so I sent some home with them.

No comments: