Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Friday, June 5, 2009

Yet Another Lemon Cake

Honestly, you would think I lived on the things. Which I don't. But at some point in the recent past (seriously, I am losing track of the weeks here... vacations do that), I had some free time and the baking bug. I wanted to bring something along on the visit to my mother, and she really, really likes lemon--she asked for the recipe for this after trying it. So that's a major vote in favor, I'd say.

I do love making loaf cakes. They're easy to make, easy to carry around, and so, so tasty. This one is good even if you don't have enough lemons to make the soaking glaze, which I didn't.

make 2 eight-inch loaves

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/2 c sugar, divided
4 large or extra-large eggs, room temp
1/3 c grated lemon zest (6-8 large lemons)
3 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking sada
1 tsp kosher salt
3/4 c freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
3/4 buttermilk, room temp
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

2 c confectioners sugar, sifted
3 1/2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease, flour, and line the bottom of two 8x4-inch loaf pans with parchment paper.

Cream the butter and 2 cups of the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the lemon zest.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the lemon juice, the buttermilk, and the vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.

Combine the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves.

When the cakes are done, let them cool for 10 minutes, then invert them onto a rack set over a tray. Spoon the lemon syrup over the cakes. Allow the cakes to cool completely.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a whisk until smooth. Pour over the tops of the cakes.

No comments: