Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Monday, July 20, 2009

Shopping, and Lemon Cheesecake Squares

The day after the party we decided to keep things low-key. While D and the kids went to church, mom and I went out to a garden center in Auburn (Teddy Bear Farms, they don't appear to have a web site), and spent most of an hour there, leisurely looking over their quite extensive selection. She made a couple of small purchases to take back to PA, and then we headed over to TJ Maxx, a store I regularly forget exists, even though several members of my cooking club work there. The problem is that I am not much of a shopper; I generally figure out that I need something, spend several months thinking about, and then go buy it online somewhere. Shopping as a sort of opportunistic, prospecting activity, where you go out without knowing what you'll find, is not something to which I am prepared to devote my scarce free time, and of course the whole point of TJ Maxx is not knowing what they'll have. I don't mind going with other people, though, and as it happened I did come across a few things I could justify buying. (They did have one lonely Le Crueset pot, but the enamel was chipped, so I passed it up.)

After lunch we went outside with the kids. L rode her bike a little bit more, and we blew bubbles, and did her favorite outdoor game: run across the yard towards me, so that I can scoop her up and twirl around until we're both dizzy. Have to enjoy these things while she's small enough for them! While JJ took his nap we played with her new LEGO set (after years of DUPLO those bricks seem tiny). And, because I can't let a day off go by without baking something apparently, and because my mom loves lemon and I hadn't made anything specially for her on this visit, I made Lemon Cheesecake Squares.

They are really easy, really lemony, and really good. I will be making them for my next party, assuming I ever get to have one (I was so looking forward to having a housewarming party... stupid sellers).

No comments: