Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Apres Birthday Party

L turned five on Wednesday, and for the first time we decided that she ought to have a real party, not just family members, so we invited two of her particular friends from preschool over on Saturday. We scheduled it from 10-1, partly to avoid running into JJ's nap time. I spent the morning running around like a lunatic--last-minute grocery shopping, hanging decorations, making (another) cake, and shoving a bunch of clutter into our bedroom where it wouldn't be in the way. My saintly mother did a ton of dishes.



The party went off without a hitch. The girls decorated sugar cookies, played "pin the flower on Dora", and played together without any real problems, although L seemed a little overwhelmed at moments. I played lunch safe and served some sliced cucumbers, macaroni and cheese, and birthday cake. The sky had been threatening all morning, but around noon it cleared up, so after L opened her presents they all went outside for a bit (under D's supervision).

Afterwards, D got his "me time" at the library while JJ napped. I puttered in the kitchen. During my mom's visit I wanted to put together one quasi-serious meal--I seldom have a chance to do that. Previously in this visit I had made turnovers with greens and feta, a simple pasta with zucchini, and pizza (a tradition). But this afternoon I had time for something a bit more elaborate, though I still wanted it to be simple food.

  • Eggplant and Fig Caponata. I absolutely love this recipe. I was drinking some leftover organic sangiovese at the time, and the combination turned out to be heavenly.
  • Spanish tortilla. Onions, potatoes, olive oil, eggs. One of the simplest recipes going. And you just hate to stop eating it.
  • Salad. My now-standard mix, sweet and yummy.
And for dessert, of course, more birthday cake!


No comments: