Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Accountability in the "Meh" Weeks

My logbook for yesterday includes the end-of-workday note, "No fun was had today." I also listened to Stone Sour's "Through Glass" about ten times in a row, although I'm not sure if that was cause or effect. 

I was tempted to skip the mid-week accountability post this week. I can blame the office for some of it. Things have been busy and frustrating there. The cold weather makes burrowing into the blankets so much more attractive than the alternatives. Mostly, though, it's just that I haven't been paying attention, haven't been keeping on top of myself. Isn't week 3 traditionally when resolutions get blown?

I haven't gotten any work to speak of done on the new novel. My heart is not yet committed to the effort, still dawdling behind with my last set of characters.

Making slow progress through The Glamour Factory. My stack of research books is growing. I finished watching The Thief of Bagdad and moved on to The Iron Mask. We finished Half Magic and went to the first meeting of the new Grade 3/4 book club at the library. 9yo fidgeted a lot and announced boredom near the end of the discussion, but she took out some books.

We still don't have an oven. Sent another email this morning, offering to deal with it myself. Seriously, it's been a fucking month.

Gym attendance has been spotty, although this morning's run was all right. I've been making it three times a week so far this year.

I got a little too excited on the weekend's trip to Target. I knew at the time that I would regret that, but I really needed to start replacing my ancient workout gear. Despite the splurge, the Travel Fund has enough in it for a whole tank of gas (gotta start somewhere), the Household Stuff Fund is 10% of the way to a new bed for one of the kids, the 401(k) and the College Fund are up by the usual agonizing-yet-surely-insufficient amounts, and the Slush Fund is, well, I expect to end the month up a little bit there, although not so much as I wanted to be.

So not a horrible week in terms of productivity, just one that I haven't really enjoyed. The surest remedy is to get back on the stick with the new book.

No comments: