3 c cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 c granulated sugar, divided
1/2 c natural (not Dutch-processed) cocoa powder
6 Tbsp water
1 1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5 large eggs
1/2 c whole milk
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 c of the sugar, the cocoa powder, and water until smooth. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed until very creamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in 2 cups of sugar. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until well-blended and light, about 4 minutes. At medium speed, beat in the vanilla, then beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition and scraping down the bowl as needed. At low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the milk in two additions and mixing just until blended.
- Add 3 c of the batter to the cocoa mixture and stir until blended. Spoon 1/3 of the plain batter into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer. Spoon 1/3 of the chocolate batter over the plain batter and smooth. Repeat, alternating layers.
- Bake the cake for 60-70 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto the rack and cool completely.
- Glaze the cake.
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/3 c heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the chocolate in a food processor and process until finely ground.
- In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a boil. Remove from heat an add the chocolate. Stir until melted and smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract. Transfer the glaze to a small bowl. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and let cool for about 10 minutes before using.