Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Monday, July 7, 2008

We're Back!

Spent the holiday weekend in NH, as is traditional. D's entire family was there, a relatively rare event, so the place was packed to bursting--thirteen adults, three children, two dogs, and two cats. Should more kids come along we're going to have to start getting creative with the space.

We drove up on Thursday morning, beating the traffic, and got settled in among the family members already present. I had volunteered to cook that night, and made my pulled chicken with a bean salad from The Silver Palate Cookbook. Keeping things simple. Other people straggled in over the course of the day and late into the night, card games were played, overexcited children played with each other and fought their bedtimes, and eventually people more or less collapsed.

Friday morning was the parade in Moultonborough, as small-town as they come, with fire trucks and old cars and a handful of floats, and the annual library book sale, at which we all exercised commendable restraint (for once). Then back to the house for a swim and dinner and then back out for the fireworks--L's first, and which she apparently enjoyed, much to our relief. I stayed behind with the baby and a few others.

Saturday morning L got to go in grandma's kayak, now that she has her very own life jacket, which thrilled her beyond words, and in the afternoon we went to the beach, where she got a bit too much sun but otherwise had a wonderful time.

The evening involved a family meeting about the future of the property, which went well, and then the annual lobster dinner (with steak for those of us who can't handle having our food stare at us while we disassemble it). Yes, there are a few traditions at work here. JJ got bit overstimulated and had to be taken upstairs, where he quickly quieted down and went to sleep.

Sunday morning, with suitable pomp, we buried his placenta there, just as we did his sister's. With luck and good planning, they will be able to spend many summers there, just like their father and his sister and cousins have, and their parents before them. The rest of the day was split between chores and swimming.

We got on the road a bit later than planned, around 4, and thanks to heavy traffic on 93 did not get home until around 9:30 (with a stop for dinner at a Friendly's in Concord, where I was somewhat bothered to see that their children's menu noted that the hot dogs contain milk, but made no such claim for the macaroni and cheese). JJ was unusually unhappy and cried for most of the trip (ouch), but seemed thrilled to be home. We staggered in, said hello to the cats, got the kids ready for bed, and went to sleep. Now here it is, Monday, and there's so much to do before next weekend (when Nana will be visiting for L's birthday) that it just about boggles the mind.

It was a nice weekend, and it's nice to be back.

No comments: