Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Monday, July 21, 2008

Facebook + Blogger = Bread?

On Sunday I finally got myself organized enough to make bread again for the first time since before Fourth of July (hey, that's a long dry spell for me...). Not just any bread, but a new bread, something I haven't done in what seems like ages. And not just any new bread, but the recipe I've bookmarked on my Facebook page since I first added the Epicurious link to it, oh, weeks ago now.

So. Oatmeal Wheat Bread. This is great stuff--tons of whole grains, and the oats soften the impact of the whole wheat. It took a while to make, but I'll do so again. I had to knead it by hand, since it was too big for my mixer, but I didn't do so for long; I used far less yeast than they called for and gave it a longer rise as a result, which (I read somewhere) also develops the gluten. And it's good bread, so what the heck.

In other news, JJ is about to cut his third tooth, the whole family except me (knock wood) has had a cold for several days now, and I am actually, tentatively, doing some writing again as of yesterday.

We went to the farmer's market this morning. Squash, zucchini, tomatoes, kale, peas in their pods, and a bunch of basil that has perfumed most of the apartment by now. I have actually had time this week to figure out a list of recipes based around what I thought we were likely to find, so I should be actually cooking this week.

No comments: