Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Friday, March 19, 2010

Two Sweet Breakfast Treats

And yes, I have to dig out my digital camera, which is currently lurking somewhere at the bottom of my purse. I am just not good at the photo aspect of blogging.

Anyway, a couple of recently tried recipes that I wanted to make a note of.

Cranberry Lemon Muffins
1/2 c butter
1 c sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp lemon extract (opt)
2 eggs
1/2 c buttermilk
2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla
2 c cranberries, thawed if frozen, chopped in half
Demera sugar for topping, opt.

  1. Preheat oven to 350. 
  2. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. 
  3. Add egss, buttermilk, 2 tbsp lemon juice mixed with lemon extract (if using). Batter will curdle. 
  4. Add 2 c flour through lemon zest. 
  5. Carefully stir in cranberries. 
  6. Divide batter among muffin tins. Sprinkle top with Demera sugar. 
  7. Bake 20-25 minutes.
I think this is probably good recipe, but I messed up by making them in jumbo muffin tins. I am used to quickbread-type muffins, and these are extremely delicate, cake-style -- most of them did not survive depanning. Next time I will use normal tins and liners, just in case, and there will be a next time, because these are quite good, worthy of any breakfast bread basket.

Lemon-Poppy Seed Scones

  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup (or more) whole milk

  1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Position rack in top third of oven. 
  2. Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon peel, and salt in processor. 
  3. Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal. 
  4. Whisk egg and lemon juice in medium bowl to blend. Add to flour mixture. Using on/off turns, process until moist clumps form. 
  5. Add 1/3 cup milk. Using on/off turns, process just until dough comes together, adding more milk if dough seems dry. 
  6. Using floured hands, gather dough into ball. Flatten into 8-inch round. Cut round into 8 wedges. 
  7. Transfer scones to large baking sheet; brush with milk. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
  8. Bake until scones are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. 
  9. Transfer to rack and cool. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)
This is an old one I clipped out of a Bon Appetit about a thousand years ago and had only made once for some reason. I didn't add enough milk at first, and then I ended up overworking them a bit. I definitely need practice on my scone-making, but they're excellent. More of an afternoon tea thing than breakfast maybe, because they are relatively sweet.

No comments: