Anyway, a couple of recently tried recipes that I wanted to make a note of.
Cranberry Lemon Muffins
1/2 c butter
1 c sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp lemon extract (opt)
1/2 c buttermilk
2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla
2 c cranberries, thawed if frozen, chopped in half
Demera sugar for topping, opt.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add egss, buttermilk, 2 tbsp lemon juice mixed with lemon extract (if using). Batter will curdle.
- Add 2 c flour through lemon zest.
- Carefully stir in cranberries.
- Divide batter among muffin tins. Sprinkle top with Demera sugar.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
Lemon-Poppy Seed Scones
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (or more) whole milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Position rack in top third of oven.
- Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon peel, and salt in processor.
- Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk egg and lemon juice in medium bowl to blend. Add to flour mixture. Using on/off turns, process until moist clumps form.
- Add 1/3 cup milk. Using on/off turns, process just until dough comes together, adding more milk if dough seems dry.
- Using floured hands, gather dough into ball. Flatten into 8-inch round. Cut round into 8 wedges.
- Transfer scones to large baking sheet; brush with milk. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake until scones are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to rack and cool. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)