Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Friday, August 29, 2008

Black Bean Tomato Soup and Quesadillas

I stayed home from yoga on Wednesday due to somehow messing up my hand--didn't think a downward-facing dog would do it any good. It's feeling better now, and I have a nice new recipe to boot.

I have off and on attempted to introduce a "___ day" theme into my menus. I know there are people out there who always have pasta on Tuesday, for instance. I think I'd find that overly restrictive, but I have been inspired to try having a "soup and sandwich" night once in a while, since I have very few sandwiches in my repetoire.

This duo was featured on the latest issue of Cooking Light's menu suggestions page at the back of the magazine. You make the soup, which really couldn't be easier and was also very good--I suspect the bacon played a role there!--and while it simmers you can throw together a couple of quesadillas with chicken and whatever cheese you like best. The result is something that doesn't take any additional time, but that feels more like dinner to me than having just soup often does, like I'm cheating or leaving something undone.

No comments: