Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

What Can I Say About 2017

I think it's undeniable that this has been one hell of an eventful year. During the early months, especially, time seemed to be moving with a painful kind of slowness -- the number of remarks I have seen equating each month to "dog years" defies counting.

One of the best things I did this year was to start a bullet journal. I have kept a journal off and on for most of my life, but lately it's been more "off." I thought the minimalist format and single point of contact provided by a bullet journal would be useful, and I am absolutely a convert; since I started mine in May, I've only missed a couple of days. I have no talent for art, so my journal does not have beautifully lettered headers or dividers or even much more than a few doodles when I have an awkwardly-sized bit of leftover space to use up, but I love it anyway.

I am also not so good at using it for being hyperproductive like some people seem to do. Maybe that will be something I work on in 2018. Mostly I've made do with a pretty high level kind of tracking. Even glancing over that stuff, though, it's been a decent year in terms of accomplishments.
  • I got serious about learning French; as of this writing I'm at 62% on Duolingo. 
  • I started getting back into some technical subjects with a refreshing class on HTML/CSS via Codeacademy, and have moved on to their Python course. 
  • I've subscribed to a slew of podcasts -- too many of them to really keep up with, to be honest, but they've introduced me to further new ideas, in a rather dizzying virtuous cycle. 
  • I've read ten more books than I read last year. Some of them kinda sucked, but there were some gems in there as well. 
  • I finished NaNoWriMo for the first time in a long while. 
  • I learned to knit. 
  • I've committed to a career change. If everything goes well, I'll spend a lot of 2018 collecting experiences toward making that jump, and exploring what it would take to make an even bigger leap. 
 All of that while dealing with a shit-ton of anxiety and all of life's usual challenges. So here's hoping for a bountiful year. Happy holidays!

No comments: