Home - is where I want to be / But I guess I'm already there /I come home -
she lifted up her wings /
Guess that this must be the place...
- Talking Heads, "Naive Melody"

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The "Three Things" Rule

Like many rules, it came from experience. At the ripe old age of 35, I have learned that if I try to bake more than three things in any given day, rather than being the happy, laughing kitchen spirit I like to see myself as, I will end the day grumpy and snarling while I wash the mixer bowl for the nth time.

Well, on Presidents Day Monday (which I had off), I broke that rule, and it was great fun. I am going to try not to do so again cavalierly, because it really does make sense for my life right now, but Monday was just one of those days where everything went right.

I started off with chocolate chip cookies. I know, they're not exactly a stretch for anyone, but I love them, and so does L, so I still make them as often as I can manage to. Yum.

I moved on to a pair of lemon-poppyseed items--Mrs. Fields cookies, and a cake from Cooking Light. I often make these together, because the cookies use two egg yolks and the cake two egg whites. Both of them are yummy with tea. Then it was Lisa Yockelson's Essence of Chocolate Squares, one of the most wonderful things in the world.

For dinner, I made a pizza, and we watched Monsters, Inc. And the whole day was wonderful, and we were all happy. Even after washing the mixer bowl... again.

I won't try to do it again any time soon, though.

No comments: